A library makerspace is a “Do-it-Yourself" learning center where patrons of any experience level gain practical skills through hands-on learning. In order to use any piece of equipment, you must first:
Have a MidPointe Library card.
- Have completed and submitted an Innovation Pointe waiver.
- Minors must have a parent or guardian sign in-person.
- Be badged for that specific piece of equipment.
- Must be 10 years of age.
What is Badging?
Badging is a training process that certifies a patron to use equipment. Think of it like earning a merit badge—you learn a skill and then demonstrate your learning to earn your badge.
How Do I Earn a Badge?
This depends on the type of equipment. Some equipment requires less training. For these pieces of equipment, you must complete Competency Badging. To utilize equipment that is more intensive or complex, you must complete Beginner Badging. See an Innovation Pointe staff member to sign up for badging. Patrons must be 10 years of age to earn a badge.
What is Competency Badging?
Watch or read provided curriculumin order to learn the skills necessary to use the equipment at a rudimentary level.
- Demonstrate to staff their competency in basic skills.
- Have their badge recorded on their library card profile.
*Needed for Button Maker, Convert to Digital Equipment, Laminator, Large Flat Heat Press, Sewing Machine and Soldering Iron.
What is Beginner Badging?
Attend a staff-led training on the basics of equipment use and safety.
- Watch a staff demonstration of basic design, use of equipment, and safety.
- Demonstrate competency on the basic design, use of equipment, and safety procedures.
- Fill out the badging completion form to have their badge recorded on their library card profile.
*Needed for 3D Printer, Laser Engraver & Cutter, Sublimation Machines, Large Format Vinyl Printer, Cricut Maker, Embroidery Machine and 3D Scanner