MidPointe Library System will join other leaders in library lending to go “fine free” and eliminate overdue fines.
This fine free approach will improve customer service and increase access for patrons. Library staff time that would previously be spent on fine-related tasks can now be reallocated for more essential and valuable engagements with customers.
This new policy if effective July 2021 and patrons will remain responsible returning items in a timely manner and for any fees on their accounts. Fees typically represent charges from items that were lost or damaged. Under the new policy, if materials have been overdue for more than 21 days, the library will assume the items are lost and will bill patrons for the material’s replacement cost.
MidPointe paused fine collection in March 2020 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Important to know:
· Under the new policy, patrons still will receive courtesy reminders when their Library materials are due and when they have become overdue. Patrons are still responsible for returning items in a timely manner.
· If materials have been overdue for more than 21 days, the library will assume the items are lost and will bill patrons for the material’s replacement cost. The replacement charge will be waived if a new, exact match replacement is provided, however a $5.00 processing fee will be assessed.
· Fees can still result from items that are lost, damaged or not returned at all.
· Fees in excess of $50.00 may be sent to collections and a nonnegotiable $10.00 collection agency fee is assessed on these accounts.
· The fine free policy covers all MidPointe-owned items. SearchOhio and OhioLINK items will still incur fines at $.50 a day.